Green tea is becoming one of the most popular hot beverages these days. It’s the perfect choice after a long day of work and you want something to sip on while relaxing on the couch. Or maybe you’re having a light healthy meal and you want a unique beverage to serve alongside it. Green tea is affordable, easy to prepare, and loaded with natural goodness.
Some people enjoy this drink because of its soothing effects and subtle taste. Others like it because it contains antioxidants that are good for the body and overall health. A lot of people don’t realize that green tea can be used as part of a regular routine to strengthen skin and increase health. With its ability to counteract free radicals, green tea has also found its way into a variety of beauty products. It also happens to be a great ice cream flavor that goes with all types of cuisine.
In ice cream form, green tea is one of the most unique in the world. It’s almost indescribable to someone who has never tried it. It’s not sweet, but it’s thoroughly enjoyable. It doesn’t taste like the beverage, but you can definitely tell tea is involved. It’s not overpowering in any way, but it’s something memorable that you’ll come back for if you like it. It might be considered an acquired taste for some, but for those who love it; it’s wonderful.
Best of all, you can put together a simple green tea ice cream recipe without much trouble at all. It fact, it happens to be one of the easiest ice creams to prepare at home. This is thanks to Matcha green tea powder that serves as your main flavoring. This powder comes from Japan and can be used for regular tea or different types of cooking recipes. The rest is a simple matter of cooking basic custard which is no problem if you’ve made ice cream before. Even if you haven’t, all it takes is a few simple ingredients blended together over a bit of heat. Here’s how to do it:
What you’ll Need
3/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
6 Tbsp sugar
1 cup milk
3 egg yolks
4 Tbsp hot water
1 Tbsp matcha green tea powder
1. In a small bowl, mix your hot water with the green tea powder. Set this aside to add at the end of the process.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together your eggs, sugar, and all of your milk. When everything is evenly blended, add the contents to a saucepan.
3. Heat over medium until the sides gently simmer, be careful not to let boil.
4. Now gently fold in your heavy cream and continue to whisk over the heat. You’ll find that within a few minutes, the overall mixture starts to thicken. When it’s thick enough to coat a spatula, remove from heat and put over an ice bath.
5. Finish off the process by adding in your green tea mixture and stirring thoroughly. Let it cool down to about room temperature, or put in the fridge to speed up the process.
6. An automated ice cream maker is the best product for the job, and you can find a good frozen bowl model here on this site. Mix according to manufacturer suggestions and in most cases, your ice cream will be done in about 30-40 minutes.
7. You can serve as is, or put it into your freezer for a few hours to make it harder.
This ice cream goes with a wide variety of foods, but of course it partners perfectly with Japanese cuisine. The next time you’re having guests over for homemade sushi and teriyaki, you can make the night even more authentic by serving this great dessert.